[Openswan Users] Newbie Question on Installing and using OpenSWAN

Prasanna Harpanhalli prasanna.harpanhalli at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 10:42:02 CEST 2005

Hi All,
I am trying to setup a IPsec Connection between a Windows 2000 host and a
machine running Fedora Core 3 .
I have installed
1. OpenSWAN user space tools.(compiled from srcs)
2. I have Recompiled the kernel 2.6.11--1.14_FC3 with OpenSWAN support.
3. I have compiled and installed iproute2 ( build iproute2-2.6.11-050330).

I am using the instructions provided in openswan sources directory.
I assume 2.6.* hence there is no need for Setkey tools and racoon.
My question is how to use iproute2 to achieve the same functions.
I am not seeing any documentation in iproute2 sources directory.
Am i missing something basic here....?
Please let me know as to the steps to setup IPsec end to end between Win2k
and FC3.
I have changed ipsec.conf suitably but don't know the *next* step as to the
use iproute2 as setkey / racoon
are not to be used.
my
$ipsec verify gave the foll. output.
Checking your system to see if IPsec got installed and started correctly:
Version check and ipsec on-path [OK]
Linux Openswan U2.3.1/K2.6.11-1.14_FC3 (netkey)
Checking for IPsec support in kernel [OK]
Checking for RSA private key (/etc/ipsec.secrets) [OK]
Checking that pluto is running [OK]
Two or more interfaces found, checking IP forwarding [FAILED]
Checking for 'ip' command [OK]
Checking for 'iptables' command [OK]
Checking for 'setkey' command for NETKEY IPsec stack support [OK]
Opportunistic Encryption Support [DISABLED]

pls give some pointers

Thanks In Advance,
Prasanna Harpanhalli.