[Openswan Users] Windoze services over IPSEC

David Spear dspear at telus.net
Mon Jan 31 12:29:22 CET 2005

> > Can someone enlighten me on what I need to do to browse the windows
> > network on my private net?  I tried setting up a WINS server on the
> > 192.168.x.x. network in my dial-up connection properties, but that
> > doesn't seem to do it.  Nothing shows up in the Network
Neighborhood.

> You cannot just use WINS for your dailup. WINS is a registration
service,
> so you need to configure everything in your network to use WINS, or
they
> have a big chance of not appearing in your WINS server at all.

Okay, so here I am:

Win2k/XP clients --> internet --> NAT firewall --> Openswan Gateway -->
private net (192.168.0.0/16)

Windows hosts on my private nets DO use WINS, they all point to the same
WINS server (192.168.1.101).  So any box on any private subnet can see
all the other hosts.

My problem is, when I point my roadwarrior client to this same wins
server via the networking setup dialog box in the dial-up connection,
nothing shows up in the network neighborhood.  Nor do I see anything
with "net view" from the command line.

I have also enabled "NetBIOS over TCP/IP" in the connection settings.
HOWEVER, when I use ipconfig to view my PPP connection on the windows
box, I see "NetBIOS over TCP/IP: disabled".  Now, I am not clear as to
the difference between NetBIOS and NetBeui.  NetBeui as far as I am
aware is a non-routable MS protocol which may be used AS AN ALTERNATIVE
TO WINS, basically all the windows machines just broadcast their
existence to the local subnet.  I have seen various Google posts which
indicate NetBEUI must be installed on WinXP to get WINS resolution to
work but I find this hard to believe...

I tried installing NetBEUI on XP (warning from MS that this protocol is
discontinued) but wasn't allowed to attach it to my dial-up connections
anyway.