[Openswan Users] Unusual packet loss *some* success

Philip Burrow philburrow at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Jan 31 14:06:57 CET 2005

Paul Wouters wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Jan 2005, Philip Burrow wrote:
>
>> I will try replacing the router with one I know works. The "dodgy"
>> router is a 2wire Homeportal 1800 if that helps. The name "Homeportal"
>> makes me think it's probably doing things to cause this problem.
>

> Never heard of it, so I can't say anything about it. Google doesn't find
> much
> eioher.

Dropped the 2wire router and replaced with a basic Netgear one that I
have tested with other configurations and tunnels and it has worked with
no problems (it's a DGxxx - I forget the exact model).

What I experience now is similar to what Philippe Ritter is reporting in
his thread "ping works but everything else doesnt".

Pings are not dropping any more in either direction. If I ssh from the
Openswan client to the Openswan server across the Openswan tunnel, text
streams (such as dmesg) do not hang, and I can FTP and use all remote
apps exactly how I want. However from server-to-client (if I ssh from
the Openswan server to the client, across the Openswan tunnel) I
experience the hangs as Philippe Ritter describes and as I had
originally in both directions. So it works one way but not the other.

I've just tried the iptables rules you posted yet I experience no
difference. There's the ability to set the MTU on the DSL router itself
- do you think that would make any difference? It's using PPPoA with a
MTU of 1458 (which it apparently "auto detected").

Regards,

Phil