[Openswan Users] Openswan + l2tp - Client can't connect

Yiannis Mavroukakis yiannis at jaguarfreight.com
Mon Jan 31 12:37:04 CET 2005

> /usr/sbin/l2tpd
> This binary does not support kernel L2TP.

> ALL OK ??? OR NO ???

It seems to work fine for me despite the message.
Using my powers of my absolutely minimal C knowledge I read
the source code for l2tpd :)
#ifdef USE_KERNEL
    if (gconfig.forceuserspace)
    {
        log (LOG_LOG, "Not looking for kernel support.\n");
        kernel_support = 0;
    }

and

#else
    log (LOG_LOG, "This binary does not support kernel L2TP.\n");

I imagine that L2TP can be integrated using sockets from kernel
space(?). The binary
however did not get compiled with that option, hence you get this
warning. l2tpd
however will work fine.

Yiannis.

If you receive this message in error, please immediately delete it and
all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard copies of it and
notify the sender. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose,
intended recipient. Jaguar Freight Services and any of its subsidiaries
each reserve the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its
networks.
except where the message states otherwise and the sender is authorized
to state them to be the views of any such entity.