[Openswan Users] Any known problems with DPD and OpenSWAN on OpenWRT?

Nels Lindquist nlindq at maei.ca
Wed Jan 26 12:23:15 CET 2005

Hi there.

Recently I configured a Linksys WRT54GS with OpenWRT and OpenSWAN.
Everything seems to be working properly, except that several times
per day, the Intel IPSEC gateway decides the remote peer is gone:

yxdgate pluto[1762]: "maei-yvrnet" #611: DPD: No response from peer -
declaring peer dead
yxdgate pluto[1762]: "maei-yvrnet" #613: deleting state
(STATE_QUICK_I2)
yxdgate pluto[1762]: "maei-yvrnet" #612: deleting state
(STATE_QUICK_R2)
pluto[1762]: "maei-yvrnet" #611: deleting state (STATE_MAIN_R3)

Is there a known problem with DPD and the OpenWRT OpenSWAN, or is it
more likely that the DSL connection is actually failing periodically?
Do I need to tweak the DPD settings on one or the other ends of the
connection?  Currently the default section contains the following:

dpdaction=hold
dpddelay=30
dpdtimeout=120

Thanks very much for any insight!