[Openswan Users] Openswan gateway behind NAT

Marcus Better marcus at better.se
Mon Jan 10 09:53:57 CET 2005

> Are you not filtering something?

I removed the iptables filters on both ends, and it did not help. (Even
with my firewalling rules I would have noticed any problems since I send
blocked packets to a log file.)

(Naturally, the other hosts on the subnet are reachable from the gateway.)

> Are you running NAT on your laptop?

No. In fact I have tried two different clients. Both have a public IP
address. One is a laptop that is not doing any NAT. The other is my home
gateway which does NAT for a subnet on another interface with different
network address, so I don't think it interferes. The results are the
same for both clients.

> Check both ends to see if at openswan startup you get an OK message about
> NAT-t being enabled in the logfiles.

I get on the gateway:
Jan  9 17:01:58 kakmonster pluto[2119]: Starting Pluto (Openswan Version
2.3.0dr5 X.509-1.5.4 PLUTO_USES_KEYRR)
Jan  9 17:01:58 kakmonster pluto[2119]: Setting port floating to on
Jan  9 17:01:58 kakmonster pluto[2119]: port floating activate 1/1
Jan  9 17:01:58 kakmonster pluto[2119]:   including NAT-Traversal patch
(Version 0.6c)

# ipsec verify
Checking your system to see if IPsec got installed and started correctly:
Version check and ipsec on-path                                 [OK]
Linux Openswan U2.3.0dr5/K2.6.9-1.667 (netkey)
Checking for IPsec support in kernel                            [OK]
Checking for RSA private key (/etc/ipsec.secrets)               [FAILED]
ipsec showhostkey: no default key in "/etc/ipsec.secrets"
Checking that pluto is running                                  [OK]
Two or more interfaces found, checking IP forwarding            [OK]
Checking NAT and MASQUERADEing                                  [OK]
Checking for 'ip' command                                       [OK]
Checking for 'iptables' command                                 [OK]
Checking for 'setkey' command for NETKEY IPsec stack support    [OK]

Opportunistic Encryption DNS checks:
    Looking for TXT in forward dns zone: kakmonster.int.example.com
[MISSING]
    Does the machine have at least one non-private address?    [FAILED]

And on the client:
Jan 10 09:33:22 thales pluto[13416]: Starting Pluto (Openswan Version
2.2.0 X.509-1.5.4 PLUTO_USES_KEYRR)
Jan 10 09:33:22 thales pluto[13416]:   including NAT-Traversal patch
(Version 0.6c)

# ipsec verify
Checking your system to see if IPsec got installed and started correctly:
Version check and ipsec on-path                                [OK]
Linux Openswan U2.2.0/K2.6.9-custom (native)
Checking for IPsec support in kernel                           [OK]
Checking for RSA private key (/etc/ipsec.secrets)              [OK]
Checking that pluto is running                                 [OK]
Two or more interfaces found, checking IP forwarding           [OK]
Checking NAT and MASQUERADEing
Checking for 'ip' command                                      [OK]
Checking for 'iptables' command                                [OK]
Checking for 'setkey' command for native IPsec stack support   [OK]

Opportunistic Encryption DNS checks:
    Looking for TXT in forward dns zone: thales                 [OK]
    Does the machine have at least one non-private address?     [OK]
    Looking for TXT in reverse dns zone: xx.yy.zz.ww.in-addr.arpa.
[MISSING]