[Openswan Users] CMAK, openswan, and l2tpd

kcheek at umich.edu kcheek at umich.edu
Fri Feb 11 15:44:26 CET 2005

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has successfully used Microsoft's
"Connection Manager Administration Kit" (CMAK) to automate the
creation of VPN client connections from Windows XP to an openswan
ipsec/l2tp server.

I (mostly) followed Jacco de Leeuw's fine documentation at
http://www.jacco2.dds.nl/networking/freeswan-l2tp.html and everything
seems to be working as expected at this point, but only if I create
the client config manually (as described here:
http://www.jacco2.dds.nl/networking/win2000xp-freeswan.html#PSK except
I'm using certificates now).  If I try to replicate the configuration
using the CMAK, the connection cannot be established.  At this point,
when I try to initiate the connection on the client, I'm getting "The
local computer does not support the required data encryption type
(Error 741)".

I figure I must be selecting the wrong options in the CMAK wizard, but
since a fair number of the available options don't appear to be the
same as when creating the connection manually, I'm not sure where I'm
going wrong.

The server is a Debian unstable (sid) system using debian packages for
essentially everything.  The clients are all WinXP SP2.

Any suggestions?

-Kevin