[Openswan Users] keepalives?

Tomasz Grzelak tgrzelak at wktpolska.com.pl
Wed Feb 9 11:30:47 CET 2005

Hello!

When a vpn client (native xp+sp2) is connected to the server (openswan 2.2.0),
I can see with 'tcpdump' incoming packets. Let's assume a client is behind
NAT, and he has just established a connection with the server, but he isn't
doing anything else.

'tcpdump' is showing short incoming udp[4500] packets once a half a minute
statistically. I assume these are the keepalive packets.
Am I right?

What option in the ipsec.conf file is responsible for how often these
keepalives are sent?
I wanted to have them every 3 seconds, so I set 'dpddelay' to 3 but there was
no difference.

Maybe I've made a mistake thinking that way...
Is 'dpddelay' responsible for the keepalives? And if not, waht option is?

Regards!
Tom