[Openswan Users] Cisco VPNclient problems under SuSE; OpenSWAN instead?

David T-G davidtg-openswan at justpickone.org
Tue Feb 1 20:42:02 CET 2005

Hi, all --

I have wanted to work with OpenSWAN to set up my own private tunneling to
my web server but have been too busy to get to it.  I must apologize in
advance for not yet really having a good picture of what goes on and how
it all works.

I'm doing contract work for a client and need to access their site from
my office.  If I had Windows I could use their NeoTeris gateway, painful
though it is, and at least get in.  Instead I have the Cisco vpnclient
software (--version == "Cisco Systems VPN Client Version 4.6.00 (0045)")
on my SuSE 9.0Pro 2.4.21 Linux system.

When I try to connect using any of the profiles the client has provided I
am prompted for my user name and passcode (presumably my SecurID PIN+token
but I have also tried my NT domain password; see below).  Unfortuantely,
this is where things go South.  The software seg faults on me, though I
haven't yet figured out why:

  davidtg at strumpet:~> sudo /opt/cisco-vpnclient/bin/vpnclient connect
  AD-Atlanta-NAT
  Cisco Systems VPN Client Version 4.6.00 (0045)
  Copyright (C) 1998-2004 Cisco Systems, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
  Client Type(s): Linux
  Running on: Linux 2.4.21-266-default #1 Fri Dec 10 16:40:59 UTC 2004
  i686
  Config file directory: /etc/opt/cisco-vpnclient

  Initializing the VPN connection.
  Contacting the gateway at 170.35.240.61
  User Authentication for AD-Atlanta-NAT...

  Enter Username and Password.

  Username [dt6667]:
  Passcode []:
  Authenticating user.
  User Authentication for AD-Atlanta-NAT...

  Enter Next PASSCODE:

  Username [(null)]: Segmentation fault
  davidtg at strumpet:~>

Trying with the aforementioned NT domain password fails to authenticate
and simply tells me that there are no new notification messages at this
time.

On top of all of this, I can't get squat for support out of these guys
and don't have access to Cisco, so I'm left to try to debug a black box
or switch to something that is probably better anyway :-)

IF, indeed, I have a proper understanding of the openswan client, what
must I do to convert a Cisco profile and to get it built (or is a SuSE
RPM available?) and installed my machine?

Thanks, so very much, in advance & have a great day!

:-D
- --
David T-G
davidtg at justpickone.org