[Openswan Users] VPN and Samba

Jerry Kaidor jerry at tr2.com
Wed Dec 28 09:57:50 CET 2005

> On Sat, 24 Dec 2005, Paulino Reyes wrote:
>
>>   I successfully setup a vpn connection to connect our 2 campuses
>> network..checking intranet mail server is fast and ok as well as other
>> web application..the problem is when i try to access a file server,
>> the response is too slow,i

> First determine whether WINS/lookups are the problem or not.

*** I've been able to get around the whole WINS issue by just using the IP
address of the server in the disk mapping, e.g.  \\x.y.z.a\directoryname.
   But even if it's slow, isn't the WINS lookup done just at the first
contact - then cached so the workstation uses the IP address thereafter?

   In general, I have not had good luck getting WINS to work over routed
paths.   This is probably due to my own ignorance and laziness.

                     - Jerry Kaidor ( jerry at tr2.com )