[Openswan Users] Linux Roadwarrior VPN Client

KW kw1502 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 9 06:45:53 CET 2005

I’m trying to set up a Roadwarrior Linux VPN client.
On the client side, I’m using Openswan 2.4.4 with
Fedora Core 4 kernel 2.6.14-1.1644.FC4. The other side
of the VPN will be IPCop 1.4.10 (linux
firewall/gateway distro based on Smoothwall), Openswan
1.0.10rc2 and kernel 2.4.31.

I want to use X.509 certificates and have created CA
root certificate (cacert.pem), CA host certificate
(hostcert.pem) and vpn certificate (vpn.p12) on the
IPCop box. I know how to set-up the ipsec.conf file to
use certificates as I’ve gotten Windows VPN clients to
work.

My question is what do I need to do on the Linux
client to use these certificates? I’m not sure if the
vpn.p12 certificate needs to be converted to the *.pem
format or how to do it. Are changes required to
ipsec.secrets? Anything else to change?

Any help or links to answers will be greatly
appreciated.