[Openswan Users] mixed net / roadwarrior setup anomalies

Filip Van Raemdonck mechanix at debian.org
Wed Dec 7 17:31:57 CET 2005

Hi,

I've been trying to setup an VPN using Debian 3.1 (Linux kernel 2.6)
running openswan on the gateway with a variety of setups on the other
end. One is another Debian 3.1 openswan which works fine, another is
XPsp2 roadwarriors which I'd like to connect with l2tpd (package
taken from unstable), some of which could be in a NATted network.

Below is the ipsec.conf.
What bothers me is that while section 19.6 (Procedure for enabling NAT-T)
of http://www.jacco2.dds.nl/networking/freeswan-l2tp.html#NAT says to add
a rightsubnet line - specifically, method 3 listed there - clients behind
NAT cannot connect if that line in my ipsec.conf below is uncommented.
When it is disabled, those clients can connect.

While I am slightly happy that things can be made to work, I wonder if
I've done anything wrong which could lead to a security issue, since they
seem to work in a setup which should not according to one reference page.
Or is that part of Jacco's page mistaken?

============ begin ipsec.conf
config setup
        interfaces=%defaultroute
        nat_traversal=yes
        virtual_private=%v4:10.0.0.0/8,%v4:172.16.0.0/12
conn %default
        compress=yes
        authby=rsasig
        leftrsasigkey=%cert
        rightrsasigkey=%cert
conn net2net
        rightsubnet=192.168.3.0/24
        also=roadwarrior-net
conn roadwarrior-net
        leftsubnet=192.168.0.0/23
        pfs=yes
        also=roadwarrior
conn roadwarrior-l2tp
        type=transport
        leftprotoport=17/1701
        rightprotoport=17/1701
        pfs=no
        #rightsubnet=vhost:%no,%priv
        also=roadwarrior
conn roadwarrior
        left=%defaultroute
        leftcert=gatewayCert.pem
        right=%any
        auto=add
        rekey=no
include /etc/ipsec.d/examples/no_oe.conf
============ end ipsec.conf

Regards,

Filip

--
*** http://www.sysfs.be/ ***
Real programmers don't document. If it was hard to write, it should be