[Openswan Users] Windows roadwarriors authentication and browsing solutions

John A. Sullivan III jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com
Mon Dec 5 13:12:19 CET 2005

As I mentioned in a previous post, during one of our production
deployments of the ISCS network security management project
(http://iscs.sourceforge.net), we deployed several windows road warriors
using the lsipsectool (http://sourceforge.net/projects/lsipsectool) and
found we had problem with reliable network browsing even though WINS was
deployed and configured and with Kerberos authentication to Active
Directory.

We have successfully worked through both problems with three registry
hacks:

To fix the Windows authentication problem we need to set the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\IPSEC
\NoDefaultExempt DWORD registry value to 1

To enable reliable network browsing we need to set the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Browser\Parameters
\IsDomainMaster and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services
\Browser\Parameters\MaintainServerList registry values to FALSE

Hope this helps anyone else who is struggling with this - John
--
John A. Sullivan III
Open Source Development Corporation
jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com

Financially sustainable open source development
http://www.opensourcedevel.com