[Openswan Users] Losing connection to local network

Anu Markkola amarkkol at cc.hut.fi
Wed Aug 31 11:09:59 CEST 2005

There seems to be problems with my mailserver and I am not sure whether
my first mail ever got sent, so I send it again. Sorry about spam if you
received the original.

Hi,

I hope someone here could help me, because I haven't found information
about anything similar to my situation. I'm using Openswan 2.3.1 with
native ipsec.

I have a private (WLAN) network and I'm using openswan to protect
connections from nodes in my private network to an internet gateway.
Wireless network is insecure so traffic is encrypted between the node and
the gateway. Tunnels work fine. The problem is that after the tunnel is
up, the node loses connection to the local network (I can't ping other
nodes in the local network, because the return packets are dropped by the
kernel). Of course I could write passthrough connection for the other
node, but I would have to write such connections for all other network
nodes, and since there can be many, I don't want to do this. I would like
to have the nodes acting normally even when the tunnel is up so that the
nodes that aren't doing ipsec wouldn't have to know anything about the
existing tunnels. How can this be done?

Thanks in advance,

Anu