[Openswan Users] L2TP/IPsec problem

Mon Aug 29 23:40:09 CEST 2005

Hi Paul,

>> L2tpd can't help here. That stuff is still at the phase of ipsec
>> negotiations. Therefore l2tpd isn't involved here.
>
> It is. By telling l2tp to make smaller packets, the ESP packets will
> also be smaller and the espinudp will also be smaller.

!? Mmhm... now I am a bit confused about l2tp and certificates. As I
read it from the currently available howtos and manuals, I understood
that there two distinct phases during protocol establishment (please
interrupt me, if I am babbling nonsense). At a first step, OAKLEY setups
a IPSEC connection based on certificates. IPSEC then allows to securely
connect the roadwarrior to (local) port 1701 on which a L2TP daemon is
listening. Via this "bridge" the data then is tunneled to a PPP stack on
the VPN gateways system.

 From my observations the certificates only come "on stage" during the
very first phase where an authenticated connection is being established
via the IPSEC protocol family. At this point, there even is no tunnel
for a communication between the client and the L2TP process. You can
even put it harder: IPSEC doesn't care, if L2TP or whatever will be used
later on. I also could authenticate two IPSEC linux boxes with
certificates (via a NAT-T connection) and then send raw IP via the
interfaces. Shouldn't then I have the same problem, won't I? Or am I
misinterpretating something?

>> As already mentioned on the list, I now got it working. I decreased
>> the size of the certificates (both of the CA and the used key itself)
>> to the absolute minimum (I formerly used phpki from
>> http://phpki.sf.net which adds additional x509v3 values like CRT,
>> NSComments and all that stuff - look at my patch, which is available
>> at the project's website!).
>
> This seems a different problem of IKE packets not surviving
> fragmentation.

At least this makes sense to my understanding: If I decrease the size of
the certificate, then the certificate's data fits into one packet which
does not get fragmented, because it is not big enough. It then doesn't
get spoiled and therefore accepted by the VPN gateway.
And there another point drops in, what I do not understand in this
scenario: If I decrease the MTU, then I decrease the size of the packets
I can accept. Thus, fragementation will occur "earlier". Why could it
then happen, that IKE packets suddenly get accepted? From my point of
view, the certificates must even be smaller than that to be accepted. I
could understand the system, if I had to *increase* the MTU size which
would allow bigger certificates to send (doesn't get fragemented then).

>> If it helps you, I can send you a bunch of keys and certificates with
>> which it works and another bunch with which it doen't work. If the
>> logfiles are also interesting for you, I can send them, too. Just
>> drop me a short mail...
>
> I think this is a known problem, but needs to be documented better.
> And fixed.

I am not that far into the code, that I could fix it, but I am willing
to help you with documentation.
Is there any existing documentation on that besides the bug notes #401?
Does it make sense to also add my data to this bug report?

Thanks!

73
  Nico

EMail: nico at schmoigl-online.de
PGP-fingerprint: 5DDB 09E4 3FF3 CD09 7559  1117 9C03 46E3 38FC 9E03