[Openswan Users] VPN for NATed clients

Richard Pickett Richard.Pickett at CSRTechnologies.com
Sat Aug 27 09:48:21 CEST 2005

I haven't used openswan that much, but I am very happy with how easy it
is to use and how simple it is to setup.

One problem I'm seeing coming for me is having multiple clients that are
SNATed that are connecting into the VPN. So I have two remote clients on
the same internal network. When they go out to the Internet they both
end up with the same public IP. Openswan isn't going to be able to
determine which IP proto 50 is coming from which client, is it?  And
even worse, even if openswan could, more than likely their NATing router
probably can't tell the difference between IP 50 packets coming from the
vpn server to the clients in order to route them to the correct client.

Is there a really easy way to maybe first make a tcp/udp tunnel (which
doesn't have to be secured) and then IPSec through the tunnel?

Thanks!

Richard W. Pickett, Jr.
President, CSR Technologies .com, Inc.
Richard.Pickett at CSRTechnologies.com