[Openswan Users] Question about VPN configuration - Reverse VPN?

Gerry George ggeorge at iyanola.raslink.net
Tue Aug 23 04:47:50 CEST 2005

I have to establish a VPN in the following scenario.

LAN (192.268.0.0/24) is connected via ADSL using dynamic IP's (and a modem which does NAT).

I have a server (INET) on the Internet with a static IP (1.2.3.4)

I want to establish a VPN for access to LAN resources (webmail, groupware, etc).  If I establish an outbound VPN connection from the LAN gateway (Openswan) to the INET server, can internet users then point their browsers to, say, 1.2.3.4 (or appropriate DNS name) to get to the resources on LAN?

I'm assuming "left=INET", "right=LAN" and the connections will initiate from right to left.

Question #2.  Can this configuration support road warriors - laptop/VPN to INET VPN server, or even better, to pass-through to connect to a VPN server directly on LAN?  The target of the road warriors is the resources on LAN, not on INET.

Question #3.  Using multiple separate IP's on INET, can this configuration scale to multiple separate and independent LAN's, each with it's own dynamic IP connection?

Any specific issues which will have to be dealt with for attempting to do this?

Thanks for any informaton or responses on this issue.

Gerry George