[Openswan Users] IPsec + (GRE/BGP) undetermined routing issues

Kevin Clark kevin.clark at ubisoft.com
Thu Aug 18 14:48:18 CEST 2005

That definitely seems to be very similar to what I see, although the
only difference on my end is that the IPsec connection is utilized
constantly.

Just before writing this email we experienced the issue again.  For us,
the easiest way to restore connectivity is to --down the connection on
one side and let the other side reestablish.

A quick view of the --status output before and after the problem was
corrected shows a lack of a STATE_MAIN_R3 (sent MR3, ISAKMP SA
established) entry for that specific connection, although I don't know
if this is irregular or not.

It does appear that in the log, Pluto is sent a delete SA request, and
then proceeds to delete each SA entry sequentially.  Then the log shows
a re-establishment of the IPsec SAs and everything looks fine.

... Except of course, no traffic is passing through :(

This doesn't make a ton of sense to me, what would cause the tunnel to
establish properly without bitching, but not allow traffic to pass
through?--while another rekey attempt solves said issue.

It makes me sad, I want my mommy.