[Openswan Users] Openswan, Windows XP behind Linksys WRT54G router (SOLVED)

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Sat Aug 6 02:46:06 CEST 2005

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005, Jacco de Leeuw wrote:

>> If I disable "IPSEC passthrought" and "L2TP passthrough" on the Linksys
>> router the VPN connection does NOT work. No I have enabled these two
>> options and everything works fine...
>
> I have no explanation for this. The NAT-T should be able to get through
> NAT routers on its own. Those NAT routers should not try to be 'helpful'
> by using outdated IPsec passthrough mechanisms. Perhaps the Linksys is
> different. You could try to disable one of the two settings and see
> which one does the trick.

It seems some vendors, including Draytek, are using the term "ipsec passthrough"
to mean "allow ipsec packets through the device". It is not what we understand
as the ipsec passthrough option.

On the Draytek, when you disable ipsec passthrough, no packets flow either.

"With Data mining, we can search specifically for clues"

--- The AIVD (The Dutch NSA) on the necessity of ISP's data retension