[Openswan Users] PAYLOAD_MALFORMED

Vieri Di Paola vieridipaola at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 28 12:42:11 CEST 2005

Hello,

I setup a SuSE 9.0 Freeswan (default) VPN tunnel with
a remote Enterasys Aurorean.

The tunnel usually works, however sometimes (actually
too often), I get the following error:

pluto: "gw1-gw2" #1: Notify Message Type of ISAKMP
Notification Payload has an unknown value: 8888

Obviously when this happens the tunnel doesn't work.

The ADSL router is an Alcatel Thomson Speedtouch 609
and I enabled the Linux freeswan gateway as the
"default server". In other words, all incoming traffic
is redirected to the Linux freeswan gateway:

<WAN IP: ADSL SPEEDTOUCH :LAN IP 192.168.254.1>

<eth0 192.168.254.2: FreeSWAN SuSE 9.0 :eth1
192.168.1.1>

<switch>

<LAN 192.168.1.0/24>

Does anyone know why this error ocurrs and why
sometimes the tunnel is established?

Help appreciated