[Openswan Users] HTML docs won't install in /usr

tomk at runbox.com tomk at runbox.com
Mon Apr 25 00:32:05 CEST 2005

I'm trying to install 2.3.1 in /usr instead of /usr/local. As there's no ./configure to take prefix=/usr, I've edited Makefile.inc and changed this line

-----------------------
# "local" part of tree, used in building other pathnames
INC_USRLOCAL=/usr/local
-----------------------

to this

-----------------------
# "local" part of tree, used in building other pathnames
INC_USRLOCAL=/usr
-----------------------

Everything installs as expected, except the HTML documentation. The directory /usr/share/doc/openswan is not created.

The build system has htmldoc and lynx installed, as required by doc/Makefile. Installation in /usr/local works perfectly, so it appears that the change described above does something to the doc install, even though it works for everything else. I can see in Makefile.inc where DOCDIR is defined, as follows:

# sample configuration files go into
INC_DOCDIR?=share/doc
FINALEXAMPLECONFDIR=${INC_USRLOCAL}/${INC_DOCDIR}/openswan
EXAMPLECONFDIR=${DESTDIR}${FINALEXAMPLECONFDIR}

FINALDOCDIR?=${INC_USRLOCAL}/${INC_DOCDIR}/openswan
DOCDIR=${DESTDIR}${FINALDOCDIR}

so with my modification, DOCDIR is /usr/share/doc/openswan, as required.

Then in doc/Makefile, in the install: section, I can see the following line: