[Openswan Users] We cannot identify ourselves with either end of this connection

Brent Newson baldey at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 11:48:14 CEST 2005

Hello all

Im new to openswan and are having problems trying to create a VPN
between my linux client and an IPCOP firewall. The versions being run
are as follows:

linux client: Linux Openswan U2.3.1/K2.6.11-1.14_FC3 (netkey)
IPCOP: Linux Openswan U1.0.7/K1.0.9

I have this basic connection setup on both sides:

conn bhome
        left=192.168.1.1
        leftnexthop=%defaultroute
        leftsubnet=10.0.0.0/24
        right=192.168.2.1
        rightsubnet=172.16.0.0/24
        rightnexthop=%defaultroute
        dpddelay=30
        dpdtimeout=120
        dpdaction=hold
        authby=secret
        auto=start

When ever i issue the 'ipsec auto --up bhome' from the client machine
i get the following error:

022 "bhome": We cannot identify ourselves with either end of this connection.

I have searched the net but i cant find what this means. It seems that
the client doesnt even try to initiate a connection so is there
something wrong with my ipsec.cong file or do i have a version
mismatch or something?

could someone point me to some relevant documentation or article about
this as possible plz?

Thanks for any help in advance

Cheers

Baldey