[Openswan Users] Re: KLIPS or NETKEY on 2.6 kernels

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Wed Apr 13 17:55:50 CEST 2005

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005, Herbert Xu wrote:

>> Well, http://www.openswan.org/docs/local/README.Kernel26 says it is.
>>
>> And for that matter, the 2.3.1 tarball now has doc/2.6.known-issues
>> instead, but it still has the same paragraph:
>> * compression seems to be incompatible between KLIPS and NETKEY.
>
> Well this is simply incorrect.  Paul, could you please correct this?

I'll try and confirm this. But I need to upgrade my NETKEY machine to
2.6.11.7 first, because the ip xfrm state bug.

I believe this bug was also originally not really an openswanKLIPS to
openswanNETKEY problem, but an openswanKLIPS-Racoon problem, which was
traced to racoon either using a wrong transform, or people telling it,
and racoon allowing, bogus transforms.

As time passes hardware approaches the effectiveness of a rock and
the reliability of a crack addict.
                                      --- Naubert's law