[Openswan Users] Tunnel hibernation

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Tue Apr 5 12:15:32 CEST 2005

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 pw at linuxops.net wrote:

> I have an OpenSWAN server to which several clients (linux/OpenSWAN, BSD)
> connect. The tunnels establish fine, and work too...for a while. After some
> time of inactivity the ipsec tunnels seem to go into hibernation mode, and
> traffic initiated from the client side is not getting through. However, when
> the server side initiates traffic the tunnel comes back alive, and
> communication back and forth is possible again. Currently I'm using OpenSWAN
> 2.3.0 with KLIPS26 on a 2.6.10 kernel. I've also seen this behaviour with
> NETKEY on the same kernel and config.

This should be fixed in 2.3.1, which will be released soon. You can already
try 2.3.1dr6. I have been running it for a few days, and most of my issues
with 2.3.0 are gone, though I did require a restart twice on the server end,
but my setup is rather complex and involves ppp devices vanishing regularly.

As time passes hardware approaches the effectiveness of a rock and
the reliability of a crack addict.
                                      --- Naubert's law