[Openswan Users] Testconfig with Openswan 2.1.5 on Suse 9.1 not working

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Fri Sep 17 17:08:16 CEST 2004

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004, David Clymer wrote:

>> I would like to establish a connection with a simple preshared key,
>> so I would have to use manual keying, right?
>
> no.

I owuld actually as far as to say: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

> Example for debian GNU/Linux kernel 2.4.26 & openswan 2.1.3.
>
> ipsec.conf:
>
> # PSK connection
> conn pskconn
>        # general options
>        type=tunnel
>        keyexchange=ike
>        pfs=yes
>        authby=secret

And NOOOOOOOOOOOOOo here too!

A basic example.

Machine 1: IP 1.2.3.4
Machine 2: IP 5.6.7.8

conn test
 	left=1.2.3.4
 	right=5.6.7.8
 	authby=rsasigkey
 	leftrsasigkey=0sA.......
 	rightrsasigkey=0sA.......
 	auto=start

You can obtain the left/right rsasig key entries using showhostkey.
On machine 1 type: ipsec showhostkey --left
on machine 2 type: ipsec showhostkey --right

Stop both ends. Put this connection definition in ipsec.conf on both
machines without editing. Restart both ends.

Avoid manual keying like the plague. Avoid presharedsecrets with a vengeance.