[Openswan Users] Problems with WIndows XP roadwarrior and openswan gateway using X.509 Certs

Mike McLean libolt at libolt.net
Mon Sep 13 16:57:18 CEST 2004

Hi,

I have a Windows XP machine that I'm setting up as a roadwarrior
connecting to an Openswan based gateway, which resides on the same
subnet.  I'm using the ipsec.exe tool and have tried to follow Nate
Carlson's howto, but I am not getting any connection.

I run ipsec.exe and everything appears to go ok, but I can't ping a
machine behind the openswan gateway.  Running ipsec barf, on the
openswan gateway doesn't show any connection attempt, so I'm guessing
something's wrong on the XP side.

I have imported the certificate on the XP machine after converting it to
a .p12 file.

The following is my ipsec.conf for the XP machine.

conn kift-vpntestbox
	left=%any
	right=192.168.4.9
	rightca="C=US, S=Arizona, L=Phoenix, O=Century 21 Metro Alliance,
CN=metro.libolt.net, Email=libolt at libolt.net"
	network=auto
	auto=start
	pfs=yes

conn kift-vpntestbox-net
	left=%any
	right=192.168.4.9
	rightsubnet=192.168.25.0/255.255.255.0
	rightca="C=US, S=Arizona, L=Phoenix, O=Century 21 Metro Alliance,
CN=metro.libolt.net, Email=libolt at libolt.net"
	network=auto
	auto=start
	pfs=y

The following is my ipsec.conf portion for the openswan system

conn kift-vpntestbox
        right=%any
        rightsubnet=192.168.24.0/24
        rightcert=kift.libolt.net.pem