[Openswan Users] Debian 2.4.26 and Openswan 2.1.3

t.henneberger at hcs-computer.de t.henneberger at hcs-computer.de
Mon Sep 13 12:38:58 CEST 2004

Hello,

I am currently in the process of setting up a VPN between linux and win2k.
After reading many howtos, forums and mailinglists I decided to use Openswan
and Debian.

I was told that Kernel 2.4 would be a good idea as Klips is the better
known solution and works just fine. I was also told that I don't have
to touch the Kernel if I use a Debian 2.4.26 as it has native IPSec.

This is where my trouble begins. If 2.4.26 has backported IPSec, I can't
use Klips, but have to use Setkey, right?

/ipsec verify returns that Ipsec native is installed and that setkey is ok.

I tried to follow Nate Carlsons howto, where he says "If you use 2.4.26
you don't have to touch the kernel", but from then on he only describes
ipsec.conf, which would be the configuration for Klips.... ack.

I would like to use Klips as it is better documented, and because the Ipsec-Tools
for Windows use the same syntax for the configuration.

I hope you can help a rather confused "vpn-newbie"  ;)