[Openswan Users] Openswan compression

Rolsma, Dan B dbrolsm at sandia.gov
Fri Sep 10 09:28:43 CEST 2004

Well, based on your answer I gave the latest RHEL kernel releases a try
before changing distributions.  Compression now works.  It appears RH has
been paying attention.  I have OpenSwan 2.1.4 working just fine with RHEL
kernel 2.4.21-15.0.4.EL and 2.4.21-20.EL.  Compress would not work using
2.4.15.EL. It would also not work with any of the stock vanilla kernels.
Well, it would work but I wouldn't get an ipsec0 network device.  I had to
compile a "custom" kernel and run off that.  I also had to do a make clean
before anything else.

In summary, after installing the kernel-source (using the RedHat up2date
service):

	cd /usr/src/linux-2.4
	make clean mrproper oldconfig dep bzImage modules modules_install
install
	vi /etc/grub.conf # edit to make new kernel
(/vmlinuz-2.4.21-20.Elcustom) the default (default=0)
	reboot
	tar zxf openswan-2.1.4.tar.gz
	cd openswan-2.1.4
	make KERNELSRC=/usr/src/linux-2.4 programs module
	make KERNELSRC=/usr/src/linux-2.4 install minstall
	vi /etc/ipsec.conf # configure the tunnel
	service ipsec start

FYI - I'm tunnelling over a fraction of a T3 which typically lets me have
560 KB/sec.  Using a Dell 2650 single CPU 2.8 Ghz Xeon with 512 MB RAM,
7-10% of the CPU is needed to compress and encrypt the link.  I should soon
get a larger slice of that T3, especially off hours, with some new network
equipment.  I think this system could handle the entire T3 bandwidth.  I've
seen 2 to 1 compression typically, 4 to 1 with text files.  Nothing with
compressed files, of course, but also no slowdown.  It stayed at 560 KB/sec.
This has saved $70K for a compression box from a commercial vendor.  It may
actually be $140K, since I would need another box for the other end.  I
didn't stop to ask if that was for one box or two.  The $70K quote knocked
my socks off as it was.  Anyway, OpenSwan is working very nicely.  Nice
product.

Dan.