[Openswan Users] openswan instead of poptop

i4 Dan Scannell daniels at i4technologies.net
Wed Sep 1 23:12:41 CEST 2004

John,

What Windows 2000 offers you is a half baked VPN client solution, even with
the high encryption pack.  The PPTP guide you included in your Email
describes a very unsecure solution, a good number of technical articles have
described why this is so.  However, the XP VPN client goes one step further
and offers an MS / "old Safenet client lite" version giving IPSEC/L2TP
combo.

So your two choices would be;

1. Install r2-l2tp/radius on a separate server to process the l2tp packets
once openswan has striped the IPSEC packet.

2. Install a third party like Safenet or iVPN Software.  Perhaps take a look
at Nate's excellent IPSEC setup guide.

http://www.natecarlson.com/linux/ipsec-x509.php

BTW, you taken a look at IPCOP v1.4, its still Beta/RC but highly stable.  A
good little box, highly recommended.

Paul : lol ! pay peanuts get Monkeys I guess.

Dan