[Openswan Users] VPN over WLAN to IPCop

Piers Kittel debian at biased.org
Wed Sep 1 23:47:21 CEST 2004

Hi all,

Am trying to make a VPN connection to IPCop 1.4b4 - I tried to set up
using Windows first, and after a while, I have succeeded.  But now I
want to set up the same connection to IPCop but for Linux.  Here is the
ipsec.conf file on IPCop (autocreated when I did stuff in the VPN
section, but added in "pfs=no" myself):

conn VPN
         left=192.168.2.1
         leftsubnet=0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0
         right=%any
         rightsubnet=vhost:%no,%priv
         dpddelay=30
         dpdtimeout=120
         dpdaction=clear
         authby=secret
         auto=add
         pfs=no

and here's the ipsec.conf file I use on Windows:

conn Home
	left=192.168.2.1
	leftsubnet=*
	right=%any
	presharedkey=<hidden>
	network=auto
	auto=start

and it works just fine.  As for Linux, I'm using Debian 3.1 Sarge, with
OpenSwan 2.1.5 with kernel 2.4.26.  I copied and modified the ipsec.conf
file slightly and here is what I have:

version 2.0
conn home
	left=192.168.2.1
	leftsubnet=0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0
	right=%any
	rightsubnet=vhost:%no,%priv
	authby=secret
	auto=start
	pfs=no
include /etc/ipsec.d/examples/no_oe.conf

Thing is that I tried putting "presharedkey" in the file, but ispec
didn't recognise the parameter and so I took it out, but am not sure
where I should be putting the key.

Anyway, I restart ipsec, and it seems all OK, but when I try "ipsec auto
--up home" it says "022 "home": we cannot identify ourselves with either
end of this connection.".  Where do I go from here?  Logs on both
computers aren't helpful.  What am I doing wrong?

When I tried "leftsubnet=0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0" on Windows, it wouldn't work,
but "leftsubnet=*" was okay, but when I used "leftsubnet=*" on Linux it
wouldn't work.

By the way, in the wiki documentation
(http://wiki.openswan.org/index.php/Configuring), there's an line:

"ipsec auto --start net-to-net"

tried that, but "--start" isn't recognised.

Thanks very much for your help in advance

Cheers - Piers