[Openswan Users] openswan instead of poptop

Nate Carlson natecars at natecarlson.com
Wed Sep 1 17:05:57 CEST 2004

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004, John H. wrote:
> I have poptop up and working on a linux server(mandrake 9.0).  I was
> thinking of moving to openswan for security of IPSec.
>
> A couple of questions...
>
> 1.Will I be able to connect with standard winxp/win2k software as I can
> with pptp/poptop?

Yes, if you are willing to use L2TP over IPSec. Basically, this
encapsulates an L2TP (similar to PPTP, without encryption, IIRC) tunnel
inside of an IPSec tunnel. Requires an extra service - either l2tpd on a
Linux box, or a Windows 2000/2003 server configured properly.

> 2.Any webmin modules available?

Sorry, can't help you there. I'm a command line kind of guy.  :)

> 3.Will I get same features(can put \\sambaservername in windows explorer
> after connect)

Yes, if you use L2TP over IPsec. Otherwise, not without some tweaking.