[Openswan Users] openswan instead of poptop

i4 Dan Scannell daniels at i4technologies.net
Wed Sep 1 22:44:08 CEST 2004

Hi John,

1.Will I be able to connect with standard winxp/win2k software as I can with
pptp/poptop?

You mean make a connection to an Openswan server using Winxp/Win2k VPN
client Software? probably not, you may need an L2TP server (rp-l2tp Linux
package or an internal W2K to process the L2TP auth packets) Openswan would
probably just process the IPSEC packets.

You may want to consider iVPN or Safenet (recommended) as a third party
client connect program.

See http://wiki.openswan.org/index.php/interoperating for more info.

2.Any webmin modules available?

No idea, probably.

3.Will I get same features(can put \\sambaservername in windows explorer
after connect)

You may need to add sambaservername into the hosts file
(c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\) on your windows workstation as netbios(?)
broadcasts will not be heard on your remote Lan.  Logging onto a W2K3 server
also works very well.

HTH

Dan