[Openswan Users] "Simple" ? Vpn setup

Nicolas Ross rossnick-lists at cybercat.ca
Fri Oct 29 16:01:41 CEST 2004

Hi All !

I am verry new to the VPN ipsec thing... I have verry extensive experince
with linux and ip routing in general, iptables etc.

What I want to achieve is make a net-to-net connection between two linux
boxes. Both have rh7.3, custom kernel, both have Openswan installed and it
seems ok.

Presently, my ipsec.conf looks like this :

conn testvpn
        left=nn.nn.nn.nn
        leftsubnet=192.168.10.0/24
        leftid=@testipsec.domain.com
        leftnexthop=nn.nn.nn.yy
        right=mm.mm.mm.mm
        rightsubnet=192.168.11.0/24
        rightid=@testipsec2.domain.com
        rightnexthop=mm.mm.mm.yy
        auto=add

Where nn.nn.nn.nn is the IP of box A leading to the internet, and the .yy ip
is it's gateway. Same for box B.

When I do a "service ipsec start" on box A, ipsec adds 3 new routes :

Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt
Iface
nn.nn.nn.0      0.0.0.0         255.255.255.240 U         0 0          0
ipsec0
0.0.0.0         nn.nn.nn.yy     128.0.0.0       UG        0 0          0
ipsec0
128.0.0.0       nn.nn.nn.yy     128.0.0.0       UG        0 0          0
ipsec0

(only new routes are shown)

Why does ipsec need to add a new default route (second one) ?

Or what am I doing wrong ?

Nicolas