[Openswan Users] Openswan's userland tools vs. IPsec-Tools ?

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Thu Oct 28 20:32:54 CEST 2004

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004, Philip Leo wrote:

> I'm learning IPsec, I want to use the native IPSEC implementation in my
> Linux kernel 2.6.5 .

If using the native stack, please at least use 2.6.9.

> When I choose the user space tools, I fell quite confused.
> As I know in addition to Openswan, there are other IPsec userland tools
> such as IPsec-Tools. Then my question is: What is the relationship between
> Openswan's userland tools and IPsec-Tools? Are they just two different
> things? If I use any of them, will it be sufficient?

You're asking on the openswan list, so you'll get a biased answer....

Openswan has a lot more features then ipsec-tools (aka Racoon).
Openswan has seen a much larger deployment
Openswan is much better suited for complex and large scenarios
Openswan has been written with security in mind
Openswan is much easier to configure then Racoon