[Openswan Users] problem with "ipsec verify"

Barbara Dippelreiter barbara.dippelreiter at promac.at
Wed Oct 13 17:12:22 CEST 2004

Hi all,

we have three locations (A, B and C). A (the headquarter) and B (subsidiary)
have both installed FreeS/WAN and communicate without any problems.

Shortly we have installed openswan in location C (subsidiary) in order to
communicate with A.
We configured tunnels from a subnet in location C into three different subnets
in location A. The configuration is nearly the same as the configuration
between A and B. Only ip-addresses have changed.

Communication between A and C works fine, but:

if we want to check the tunnels (ipsec verify) we get approx. 80 error
messages (ACCEPT / MASQUERADE from IP to IP kills tunnels from IP/subnet to
IP/subnet).

Analysing the situation, we discovered no errors in the configuration.
The firewallscript was copied from location B to our new gateway and "works
correct".

The only thing we have found is a strange (second) route entry on the gateway
in C via ipsec0.
<192.168.254.0   0.0.0.0     255.255.255.0   U     0      0    0 ipsec0>
The destination of this route has nothing to do with any of our VPN
configurations. Why does it use interface ipsec0?
We deleted this route entry without any effect on the communication from C to
A.
After the restart of ipsec the route entry was back again, the reaction to
ipsec verify was unchanged and the user communication from C to A was still
o.k.

Can anybody help us to understand the behaviour and give us a hint to correct
the situation.

Regards

Barbara