[Openswan Users] stuck in STATE_MAIN_I3/STATE_MAIN_R2

Oskar Liljeblad oskar at osk.mine.nu
Wed Oct 13 09:23:58 CEST 2004

On Wednesday, October 13, 2004 at 07:59, Herbert Xu wrote:

> > Could it be the ISP blocking this packet? To test this possibility I set up
> > openswan on a third system (on a third ISP).
> >
> >   alpha-beta   fails as above
> >   alpha-third  fails as above
> >   beta-third   OK!
>
> Does ping -s 1472 beta/third work from alpha?

On alpha, without VPN:
ping -s 1472 beta   OK
ping -s 1473 beta   no reply
ping -s 1472 third  OK
ping -s 1473 third  no reply

On alpha, with VPN to beta:
ping -s 1472 beta   fails

When I try to find the maximum working packet size with ping with
VPN enable I get weird results: First ping works. Then next time
I try I might get

  From alpha icmp_seq=1 Frag needed and DF set (mtu = 1220)

and the lower size I go, the lower the MTU reported by ping is:

  From alpha icmp_seq=1 Frag needed and DF set (mtu = 1108)

Regards,

Oskar Liljeblad (oskar at osk.mine.nu)