[Openswan Users] install openswan with 2.6 vanilla

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Mon Nov 29 12:43:40 CET 2004

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004, Davide Giunchi wrote:

> I'm trying to install openswan on a debian sarge with 2.6.9 but i can't
> find any valuable documentation about how to compile the kernel.
>
> As openswan has been removed from sarge (i don't know why) i've compiled
> openswan-2.2.0 with
> make programs
> make install
>
> then when i try to run /etc/init.d/ipsec start i get:
>
> ipsec_setup: Starting Openswan IPsec 2.2.0...
> ipsec_setup: insmod: can't read 'ipsec': No such file or directory
> ipsec_setup: FATAL: Module af_key not found.

I think xfrm_user is still used in 2.2.0. This module got renamed to
xfrm4_tunnel. You can change this in programs/_startklips/_startklips.in
in the source, or just change it in /usr/local/lib/ipsec/_startklips

> On my 2.6 configuration i've enabled all under "Cryptographic options"
> and:
> IP: AH transformation
> IP: ESP transformation
> IPsec user configuration interface

as modules or inline? The check in startklips that is done to detect
the 2.6 ipsec code is to see if the file /proc/net/pfkey (not pf_key)
exists.