[Openswan Users] recommended appliance

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Sat Nov 27 16:44:54 CET 2004

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004, Omar Armas wrote:

> What VPN appliance would you recommend to use with Openswan to have
> host-to-host tunnels?
>
> We will put  dumb terminals in kiosks of commercial centers(malls) connected
> through ADSL.
> So I need an appliance that be able to start the ADSL and establish an IPSEC
> connection to the central VPN/Openswan server.
>
> Like we'll have many of them, I'd like a small, cheap and good appliance. Does
> such a thing exists?
> Which would you recommend me to use?

Nothing beats the price like endconsumer mass market products. If you can deal
with a seperate ADSL modem+router, I'd consider using the Linksys WRT accesspoint.
You can customize it using openwrt (it runs linux) and since it can run openswan
you will have no interop issues. You can even add some management system on top
of it.
The openwrt openswan package still needs some work, but people have been using
it with success.

I am not sure if any other device would be able to beat the $60 or so for the
Linksys AP plus some off the shelve adsl modem like a speedtouch.