[Openswan Users] Windows dns lookup over IPSEC/L2TP

Trevor Benson tbenson at a-1networks.com
Fri Nov 5 19:57:03 CET 2004

On
> Behalf Of Duncan Reed
> Sent: Thursday, November 04, 2004 2:12 AM
> To: Jacco de Leeuw
> Cc: users at openswan.org
> Subject: Re: [Openswan Users] Windows dns lookup over IPSEC/L2TP

> Ethernet
> VPN
> >
> > I get the same result. IPCONFIG /ALL lists the DNS servers from the
VPN
> > connection after 'dial-up' so I figured it would be OK but a tcpdump
> > shows that the original DNS servers are used.
> >
> > It should be a Windows client problem because on the Linux
L2TP/IPsec
> > server everything is configured OK.
> >
> > The only information I could find at this stage is:
> > http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBM/tip6100/rh6175.html
>
> Okay thanks, I shall continue my search for a solution at least I know
> haven't done anything obviously wrong.
>
> Seeing how MS seem to have tweaked DNS, DHCP etc so that it integrates
> with Win2k server I wondered if it might be a windowism rather than a
> Linux side config issue.
>
> Duncan

FYI When I tweaked Jacco's config to work with IPCop 1.4 Alpha and
Beta's to passthrough traffic to a windows RRAS server doing L2TP, I had
no issues browsing or doing lookup to the internal servers.  I would
have to mod my IPCop 1.4.0 final and retest again to give dumps of what
is happening.

Trevor