[Openswan Users] SSH Sentinel & access from client's local subnet

Needy Admin needsh3lp at yahoo.com.au
Tue May 25 13:15:18 CEST 2004

Hi,

I have been using freeswan 1.99 with ssh sentinel happily for 12 months now but now I need some additional functionality.

Basically we want to setup the VPN client laptop to act as a router so that a handhelp device with an IP address from a local subnet can talk to a server throught the VPN  tunnel and to the other side.

I have looked at the documentation that comes with Sentinel and googled web and newsgroups and have not seen anything obvious.

Has anyone done this or does anyone know if it is even possible? I've tried turning off "Deny split tunneling" option and I have enabled the IP Routing under XP but the packets do not go through.

Also when the VPN tunnel is active the handheld cannot talk to the laptop. It appears Sentinel's "firewall" rules are stopping it. I've succeded in getting the handhelp to ping the laptop while the VPN is active by adding a PRE-IPSec rule but cannot get past that.

The user who needs this type of configuration requires Windows so switching to Linux as the VPN Client is not possible.

Another Windows client would be acceptable as long is it is cheap or free.

Thanks.

NA