[Openswan Users] no connection is known for...

Jacco de Leeuw jacco2 at dds.nl
Mon May 24 18:00:36 CEST 2004

Mark Frost wrote:

 > I'm assuming that now I'd need to take this to another mailing list (if
 > there's one for l2tpd? or perhaps pppd?).

how the (Free|Open|Strong)swan list owners feel about L2TP/IPsec related
issues on the mailinglists. It was never really discussed: people simply
started to post L2TP issues on the *swan mailinglists and IPsec related
issues on the l2tpd mailinglist. (And it's all my fault :-)

So, what do you guys think?

> Now on the Windows side after dialout, I get a TCP/IP CP error message
> 52 saying there's a duplicate name on the network.
 >
> May 24 09:11:24 outpost pppd[6629]: local  IP address 172.16.0.49
> May 24 09:11:24 outpost pppd[6629]: remote IP address 192.168.1.101

This is an error alright. The local IP address ('local ip' in l2tpd.conf)
should be in the same subnet as remote IP address ('ip range'). These are
all addresses on your internal (protected) network.

For L2TP/IPsec you should only use external (public) addresses in ipsec.conf
and internal addresses in l2tpd.conf

Jacco
Jacco de Leeuw                         mailto:jacco2 at dds.nl