[Openswan Users] Ping through tunnel suddenly stops

Sybille Ebert sybille.ebert at gmx.net
Mon May 24 13:19:26 CEST 2004

Greetings.

I have a tunnel between two machines without a default route. After a
minute or two of successful pinging, tunnel stops and the following is
logged:

ERROR: netlink response for Add SA ... included errno 17: File exists
max number of retransmissions (2) reached STATE_QUICK_R1

ESP packets are still being sent by first gateway, but seem to be
dropped by the other. Last line of ipsec auto --status prints:

000 192.168.1.16/32:0 -1-> 192.168.1.17/32:0 => %hold 0    %acquire-netlink

The problem only occurs when ipsec is first started. If I do "ipsec
restart", the problem disappears.

Why does this happen? I've stumbled upon this while trying to create a
tunnel that would come up whenever the dial-out interface would come up.
Is there a better way to do it besides putting "ipsec start" to ip-up
script?

Thank you.

----------------------

My configuration: kernel 2.6.5, Openswan 2.1.2

ipsec.conf:

config setup
   interfaces="ipsec0=eth0"

conn vpn0
   left=192.168.1.64
   leftsubnet=192.168.1.16/32
   leftrsasigkey=...
   leftid=@left
   right=192.168.1.66
   rightsubnet=192.168.1.17/32
   rightrsasigkey=...
   rightid=@right
   auto=start
   # nexthops are implicitly %direct, arent't they

conn block
   auto=ignore          # for all built-in conn's