[Openswan Users] VPN Client thru Alcatel Modem

Leonard Tulipan l.tulipan at mpwi.at
Wed May 19 17:30:21 CEST 2004

Hi!

After a lot of debugging, I am finally stranded.
We have the followin setup

10.0.0.1 VPN Client

Alcatel DSL Router Speedtouch 510
Changing IP's

X.X.X.X Linux VPN Firewall

192.168.118.* Private Net behind FW

Ok, nothing interesting.
Now, when I trace VPN Connections with tcpdump, I see

client:UDPPort500 -> server:Port500 ISAKMP Phase 1, 2, etc

So Packets ALWAYS come from Port 500 and go to Port 500
I also checked the VPN client it also behaves well and has Port 500 as
src_port

But the Alcatel Router (after getting the firewall-config to let the
corresponding traffic thru) changes all that, so that I get packets
looking like
dslrouter:UDPPort(Random between 19000 and 20000) -> server:Port500

This does not work!
Is THIS the one reason I need the NAT-T Patch, or can I somehow get the
server to accept packages, even though, the src_port isn't correct?

Cheers
Leonard