[Openswan Users] ipsec.secrets

Bastien Rocheron bastien.rocheron at free.fr
Thu May 6 16:41:48 CEST 2004

Hello,

I followed Nate Carlson's very helpful page at http://www.natecarlson.com/linux/ipsec-x509.php to
set up a frees/wan gateway with a winXP user and a linux user with openswan.
Everything works great but only 1 strange thing I can't understand :
when I do a ipsec verify (on the linux gateway or the linux user), I got the error about my
ipsec.secrets file that tells me there is no private key in it. I only get this error since I
carefully erased the previous private key to replace it with : RSA my.host.net.key "my_password" as
Nate did in its page. I put the private key in the /etc/ipsec.d/private/my.host.net.key.
The result is that both my gateway and my linux user have this private key error, the windows
user can use the link without problem but the linux user is unable to use the link and the
discussion of the linux user and the gateway leads to an informational packet from the gateway that
says : invalid-key-information(17).
Obviously it's only about a little misunderstanding in the key management but I can't figure out how
to change the key format.
Anybody can help?

Thank you,

Bastien Rocheron