[Openswan Users] Help with WinXP behind NAT as client

Nate Carlson natecars at natecarlson.com
Mon Mar 29 10:55:42 CEST 2004

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004, Leonard Tulipan wrote:
> Mar 29 09:17:47 firewall pluto[19706]: "roadwarrior"[1] 100.100.100.100 #2: no suitable connection for peer 'C=AT, L=Wien, O=Schneller Scharau 5th Mind, CN=RoadWarrior1'
>
> the client - according to the howtos - always tells of a 192.168.0.15/32
> subnet. so that's why I defined that.
>
> I don't want to believe that I won't get it to work.

Are you using transport mode or tunnel mode?

I never used to have a problem with XP clients in tunnel mode (ie, not
specifying type=transport in ipsec.conf), but on Friday had a client (XP
with current patches behind a NAT gateway) that wouldn't connect with the
same error. After some searching, I applied the patch from:

http://www.advancevpn.com/public/super-freeswan-818043NATv3.patch

..and it didn't help. I then patched FreeS/WAN to support transport mode,
turned that on, and now it appears to work.