[Openswan Users] route-host command exited with status 2

Robert W. Burgholzer rburgholzer at maptech-inc.com
Thu Mar 25 11:47:08 CET 2004

Hello,
I am experiencing difficulty attaching my home machine, behind a verizon
dsl modem, to my freeswan network at work. Both machines are running redhat
linux 7.3, with Freeswan 2.04 with x509 patches from RPM.

Following the logs, the connection is being negotiated via x509
certificates OK, but when my client (road warrior) machine issues the command:

ip route add 192.168.1.0/24 via mygatewayatworkIP dev ipsec0

I get: "route-host command exited with status 2"

Entering that command at the command line yields:
"RTNETLINK answers: Network is unreachable"

My ipsec0 interface is up, and the only thing I can see as maybe being
peculiar, is that there is a PTP entry in the ppp0 interface info, but NOT
in the ipsec0 info, as follows:

ppp0      Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol
           inet addr:myIPaddress  P-t-P:10.22.1.1  Mask:255.255.255.255

ipsec0    Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol
           inet addr:myIPaddress    Mask:255.255.255.255

I am really stuck here, any help would be appreciated.

Robert Burgholzer
Environmental Engineer
MapTech Inc.
http://www.maptech-inc.com/