[Openswan Users] Can't locate module af_key - haven't compiled new kernel

Leonard Tulipan l.tulipan at mpwi.at
Thu Mar 25 11:12:40 CET 2004

Hi !
So now I seem to have a new problem.
I tried migrating to openswan.
I only compiled openswan. I never build a new kernel for this. I used the .config of this kernel configuration
Red Hat 7.3
Kernel 2.4.20-19.7

[root at firewall linux-2.4]# service ipsec start
ipsec_setup: Starting Openswan IPsec 2.1.1...
ipsec_setup: Using /lib/modules/2.4.20-19.7/kernel/ipsec.o
ipsec_setup: modprobe: Can't locate module af_key
ipsec_setup: kernel appears to lack KLIPS

So why this now. Does this mean I still had the freeswan module running yesterday (I rmmod-ed it specifically). Because starting openswan yesterday did not produce this error.

Cheers
Leo