[Openswan Users] Is this a proper use for OpenS/WAN?

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Sun Mar 14 12:47:11 CET 2004

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004, Faber Fedor wrote:

> 1. Is there any known problems with setting up a VPN tunnel with a
> LinkSys BEFSX41 router/firewall/VPN endpoint?

I believe people have used this before.

> 2. I Want to do my testing between a Fedora Core 1 box and a databse
> server running Red Hat 8.0.  The actual installation will be on a Red
> Hat 8.0 box.  Any known problems?

Yes, but don't use FC2, since that uses the 2.6 kernel with new ipsec code.

> I am extremely paranoid.  I don't like the fact that I'm opening a hole
> in the firewall and that the website will have in it's possession credit
> card information.  However, the requirement states that this is all done
> in realtime.

Your biggest problem will be if the webserver is compromised and sends *new*
credit card information it gets from visitors elsewhere.

> So what I Was thinking was thins: setup a VPN tunnel between the website
> and the database servers.  The tunnel naturally goes through the
> firewall.

It seems better then no vpn, but that is almost always the case. Still, don't
give the webserver a vpn into the entire local firewalled network, but just to
a single dropoff server.