[Openswan Users] webmin tool

Trevor Benson tbenson at a-1networks.com
Sun Mar 14 02:57:22 CET 2004

SiaNLun,

   I don't know of a webmin tool for openswan.  I do however know of
IPCop firewall (1.4.0 in beta now) is using openswan, and has built in
x.509 support.  It can be installed from an ISO created boot CD, you can
download from prdownloads.sourceforge.net/ipcop.  I only know of support
for this in 1.4 series, I do not know about the current stable 1.3.0
series.

   I easily made a CA and Host cert by clicking a button and typing a
few fields (most on the page are not required).  Upon creating a new
tunnel after making a CA and Host cert, you can choose in the new tunnel
you build to use certs, and create a cert for a client at the moment you
make the tunnel.  It also has an easy method for using the interface to
download the certificates, or even better. Download a p12 file for your
client to import everything you need at once.

   Have not really figured out what to do with p12 files on Linux yet,
since I just know how to spec the certs, but it makes dealing with
certificates in Windows 2000/XP very simple.

   IPCop has an interface for creating VPN tunnels, among many others.
It currently allows Host-to-Net and Net-to-Net tunnels.  I am about to
release an addon package that will allow people to choose 'Host to
Domain'.  This allows the native 2000/XP VPN to tunnel to openswan and
authenticate to the domain.  You need to setup the VPN RRAS server and
the 2000/XP client. There are really wonderful howto's out there about
configuring the MS VPN Server and Client.

Trevor Benson