[Openswan Users] scp over an openswan tunnel hangs

Graham Leggett minfrin at sharp.fm
Wed Jun 30 18:30:07 CEST 2004

jerry wrote:

> i also encountered this behavior on one older cvs-version of openswan.
> maybe the problem was a fragemntation/mtu of packets.
> i upgraded to 2.1.4 and it works, so try this ;-)
> my conf is openswan 2.1.4, kernel 2.6.6 with nativ IPSec stack

I am already running openswan v2.1.4, with a Redhat FC1 kernel (2.4
kernel plus RH's backports of the 2.6 ipsec code).

Seems manually dropping the MTU size to 1466 from 1492 on ppp0 fixed the
problem. Interestingly the iptables man page describes an ISP that has
this problem as "criminally braindead"... sigh.

Regards,
Graham